This August, there are few a games being released that should be able to hold you over until the major release season (September – December).
Sleeping Dogs – PS3, Xbox 360,& PC
Sleeping Dogs will probably be the biggest release for the month of August. Inspired by classic Hollywood and Asian action style movies, Sleeping Dogs is a rough open-world cop drama set in the very popular city of Hong Kong. You play the role of a undercover cop, Wei Shen, whose jobs is to take down the the Hong Kong Triads from the inside. For those of you who don’t know, the Hong Kong Triads are one of the most feared criminal organzations in the world. As you progress through the story, Wei Shen will come to face loyalty and betrayal which cause him to question his own decisions as he falls deeper into the criminal world.
Players will be given opportunities to have action packed shoot-outs, street races, & fights in the open world of Hong Kong– ranging from street corners and markets to the harbors and skyscrapers.
With the intuitive combat system in Sleeping Dogs, players will be able to to perform a range of martial art moves. Taking on numerous opponents at once, you can perform killer combos, devastating counters, and cinematic environmental takedowns. There are so many different ways to take out enemies, you may end up playing through a few times just to see the many ways to defeat those annoying criminals.
Dark Souls (Prepare to Die Edition) – PC
Dark Souls, the successor to Demons Souls, is an action RPG set in a dark fantasy world. Dark Souls will take you through deadly dungeons encountering many demon and terrifying bosses. The world of Dark Souls is designed for exploration. When players takes time out to explore and find new areas and fight new enemies, they are rewarded with “a sense of achievement…”
Additional content has been added for its PC debut. The Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls includes an updated PVP mode. The development team also added an untold chapter in the world of Lordran created to help expand the story of the game. ‘Artorias of the Abyss’ will include new areas to explore, enemies to slaughter, and bosses to slay as players must stop the spread of darkness by facing and defeating the Dark Knight Artorias. Players can now experience an online match-making feature that creates one v. one, two v. two, or four player battle royales.
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, or newer
- Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core
- Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)
- Hard Disk Space: 4 GB
- Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA Ge Force 8800 GT or Higher
- DirectX: 9.0c
- Sound: Direct Sound Compatible
- Additional: Multiplater requires microphone headset support
- Number of players: 1 – 4
- Online – VS, number of players: 4
- Online – Co-op, number of players: 4
- Mic/Headset Voice
- New Bosses – Including Artorias of Abyss, Chimera of Tomb, and more
- PVP Online Matchmaking System – Quick matching for co-op or PVP
- New Areas – Including Oolacile Tomb, Old Ruins and more
- New Enemies – Including Abyss Guard, Chained Prisoner and more
- New NPCs – Including Hawkeye Gough and more
- New Weapons and Armor – Equip some from the new bosses, enemies, and NPCs
Transformers: Fall of Cybertron – Xbox 360, PS3
The great war on the planet Cybertron continues into the second chapter of the Transformers story, “Fall of Cyberton.” In Fall of Cybertron, players will fight their way through Cybertron’s darkest and final moments of the war between the Autobots and Decepticons. Players will also play through an assortment of Transformers to fight for the control of Cybertron.
Unlike most gamers, I am actually excited for “The Fall of Cybertron.” I really enjoyed the multiplayer of “War of Cybertron,” it was different from usual shooters. It was a breathe of fresh air, you were actually able to have fun with the game and not worry about people being over competitive. Whether you won or lost, you know you enjoyed the game no matter the outcome. I am hoping that “Fall of Cybertron” will be the same way.
T for Teen: Animated Blood, Violence
Genre: Third-Person Shooter
Developer: High Moon Studios
August 2012 (No Official Date)
Legasista – PS3
Legasista is a dungeon style, survival, action RPG that sets you in a world where science is seen as magic spells and curses. You will accompany Alto, a young man who has set out to find the mysterious Ivy tower which holds the secrets of the lost art of science.
You will explore many kinds of dungeons that will give you a chance to loot and like most RPGs, you will be able to to customize your character with the different items you loot. Legasista will have a fun feature that will allow you to import images from your PS3 and convert those images into characters. Many people will enjoy this feature because they don’t have to spend thirty minutes customizing their character. They can just use an image of someone they want.
- Dungeon crawler-style action RPG: Form a team of 3 characters to explore the dungeons of the Ivy Tower. Characters can easily switch in and out from the frontline to the backline.
- Randomly-generated dungeons: Explore different dungeons and cash in on the loot.
- Personalities: Create your own character, from job class to unique personalities. The personality will greatly change the character’s fighting capabilities.
- Customization: Customize your character fully with the character creation feature. Even weapons can be customized.
RP for Rating Pending